Search This Blog

Saturday, January 10, 2009

I try not to think too hard.

My Mom doesn't watch the news. This was a direct result of being the wife of a fire fighter. My Mom says that as soon as she and Dad got married she started hating the news. When Dad was home the scanner would be on constantly, telling us about every emergency in Boston. But when Dad was out the scanner was silent. "I didn't want to be thinking too hard about it," Mom says. These days, the habit sticks.

Last night though, Mom called me panicking because my aunt had called her to tell her about the fire truck that crashed. She knows one of the guys from that station, and was sick to her stomach thinking about it.

This morning my heart and prayers go out to Kevin M. Kelley's family, knowing that nothing will ever be the same.

No comments: