Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

"Yesterday you were normal and today you're like the Chinese guy from the Karate Kid. What's with you today? "

I got to work on time today and within the first few minutes of report was informed of a patient being discharged for illegal drug use. Patient aware. Too bad, I thought. But a relatively easy discharge. Almost fifteen minutes later one of my patients walked by with the supervisor . The patient was yelling in a foreign language. Someone popped in to tell me that this patient had caned someone in a wheelchair across the skull. This patient was also being discharged, effective immediately. Ok, I thought. As soon as I'm done with the early medications I'll do the paperwork. I finished medicating the slew of patients with early morning appointments, completed the first discharge, and completely deescalated both a panic attack and (separately) an emotional breakdown in the hallway before the DON appeared and asked how much I knew about "the situation" with another one of my patients.

"Situation?" I asked.
"Don't be cute," the DON kidded me, laughing at my expression.
"Seriously, I have no idea what you're talking about."
She stopped laughing, visibly distraught at her role as official bearer of the latest news.
"The patient kicked someone, hard and for no reason. We have it on camera. The patient has to go."

It was only 9am. What's with today, today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No lie - when I saw that title, I was going to respond with, "What's with today, today?"

Suddenly I want to watch Empire Records and Rocky Horror, preferably in West Roxbury, with a certain group of people we went to high school with.

Anonymous said...

very long title very long title thats all i have to say