Search This Blog

Monday, May 25, 2009

I'm falling for my city

It was John's idea to go to the Common and walk around on Saturday. It was the perfect choice for a slightly breezy springtime day in the city. We walked from the Common to the Public Gardens where I insisted on sitting to watch ducks for a while.

After arguing over the definition of amphibian and debating the socio political import of the 1960s, it was clear we would probably never run out of things to say. Which was true, although we were sometimes silent out of deference to our surroundings. I showed him my favorite statue (besides the Ducklings of course) which I could name here but I'd rather bring you to sometime.

We walked all the way to the Esplanade, and I just couldn't get enough of the water and the sky, and all the people sunning themselves on the docks. I even made John climb a tree.

"I haven't done this in 30 years," he complained as I laughed at his struggle. "What are you, the Winona Ryder character who shows me how to be a kid again?"

John said that he'd like to live in New York City. "What's the opposite of homesickness?" he asked me, " that's how I felt when I saw it."

"I don't know whether I'm a city person or a country person," I said.
"You're a people person," John said as matter of factly as if he was saying my name.
And I think he's right.

No comments: