Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

this is where your psych training comes in

The patient is digging around in her medication cup.

Patient: What's this pill?

Nurse: That's an ace inhibitor, it's for your blood pressure.

Patient: I told them I'm not taking that.

Nurse: You don't have to if you don't want to. May I ask why?

Patient: I've been sneezing a lot.

Nurse: Excuse me?

Patient: I've been sneezing.

Nurse: Do you think it's the blood pressure medication?

Patient: No. I've never tried it since they ordered it because I don't want to get even sicker.

Nurse: Ma'am, your blood pressure is dangerously high. If you take it we'll monitor you to be sure  that there are no adverse eff-

Patient: (staring at RN threateningly) Sure. I'm going to take it but if I die YOU are personally responsible.

Nurse: If you feel that strongly then I'd rather- (the nurse reaches out, but the patient swallows the pill)

Patient: Remember. Remember, if anything happens to me, it's your fault. It's on you.

As if we could forget.

No comments: