Search This Blog

Monday, May 24, 2010

LOST

This entry is not about LOST.

I never have never even seen a minute of an episode of LOST.
But Liz C. is in town and in the spirit of friendship I now find myself sitting  Shannon's house gearing up to watch the very last episode ever.

I was wearing a surgical mask to protect me from cat dander* which I had to take off to eat our order of "Wings". We ordered Wings over Amherst all the time in college and have taken this tiny reunion as an opportunity to munch on chicken together even though Shannon's boyfriend Ted doesn't like the franchise's recipes as much as we do.

As we watch the official LOST recap that is airing right now I am struck by a few things.

First of all, I kind of wish I had been watching LOST all along. I guess I did miss out on a huge cultural phenomenon. Years from now I will have to admit that I didn't watch it and people will look at me the way I look at them now if they say they never saw the episode of Punky Brewster where Cherry locks herself in a refrigerator and almost dies.**

But mostly I am struck by how lucky I am to have the friends I have. I love to sit here by the window in this apartment, a black cat at my feet (a bottle of fexofenadine by my hand), and Liz and Shan on the couch across from me trading jokes about LOST. And in between jokes about LOST, just trading stories.
 A minute ago two other close friends who live upstairs stopped by the window behind me and I made faces at their baby. Ted is delivering a rant about season three. We are going to eat ice cream soon. Then I'll put my surgical mask back on.

I'm happy.

I'm not going to understand a single thing that happens in the next two hours. And honestly, when the show starts I am probably just going to sit here and continue working on the script for Gorefest.

But I am glad I came here. I always am.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
*I am not the most stylish person you know, but I am the most fun to take places.
** RIGHT?

No comments: