Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

Indulgent Entry Spoiler Alert

When I was 15 years old I saw my first professional improv show and it was at Improv Asylum. I went with friends from my high school improv troupe. We were floored. I was hooked.

Fast forward ten years. Last night I performed on the I.A Mainstage for the first official time. I was subbing into the show that is currently running, and the immersion was quick and quiet. I will not be writing about every single show I do because there are going to be a number of them*. But I wanted to mark this occasion because it is a big step and I did not take it alone. The cast could not have been more welcoming and supportive. They made my first night easy and fun. Everyone helped orient me to the show, they made time to walk through all the sketches with me beforehand. They told me to ask any questions I needed. And afterwards everyone offered hugs and congratulations. It was the perfect first step. And in fact, that's all it really was: a first step. A drop in the bucket. From here on in I start the real work that lies ahead of me in my transition to a full fledged cast member. And because of how wonderful the cast is, I feel strong enough to do that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Aiiiiiiiiiii!!!!! (ahem)

No comments: