Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2009

The balance rights itself

And on the other end of the spectrum from my experience with "Jane," we have "Jeremiah."

Jeremiah reminded me of the character John Coffey from Stephen King's The Green Mile. He was huge and intimidating, but I knew he was gentle and would never harm a fly. While he was with us he found out he had a form of leukemia. As he left the last time I saw him he flashed his contagious grin at me and cleared his throat.

"I just want to thank you for all your care, and I hope you can extend my thanks to everyone else on the team."

It had a very formal practiced air, as though he had spent time rehearsing what he wanted to say in this moment. "I don't get taken care of very often, and it was nice to let myself be almost," he paused and grinned again, "pampered for a little while."

We barely did a thing. That was the thing.

No comments: