Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Sensation Like Pressure

Due to some unfortunate events at work and in my family, my writing has been spotty.
Updates will begin again soon.

Meanwhile, I finally broke down and bought a Kindle. For a year I've had friends pushing me in that direction with cries of "but you like to read so much!"  So many factors went into this decision, including the realization that I would really love to carry some nursing reference books with me to have at work (yeah, I'm a nerd, get over it), and finally acknowledging just how quickly I go through books when I'm on vacation.

 But here's what pushed me over the edge: My friend John blogged about Instapaper. Like John, I already have a Google Reader feed which shows me the latest entries in all the blogs I subscribe to. But Instapaper lets me click a button in my toolbar and archive isolated articles to read later on. I can do this for articles in my Google Reader feed but also for links sent to me through email, or that show up on my Twitter or Facebook feed but that I don't have time to read right away. Then they show up (ad free) on my computer. Then I can drag them onto a Kindle or have them wired there for a small fee. Now I can take it all with me, and I do.

In the meantime please enjoy some suggestions for your reading enjoyment.
You can read them now, or you can Instapaper them for later. (Amazing, right?)

1. Nurse K rants about ER violence and delegation. Nurses everywhere swoon for her logic. Or fear her.
2. My friend Lynn Wilcott wrote this piece on the impending cuts to funding for Planned Parenthood. Dan Savage of Savage Love fame reblogged it because it's so good. Lighthearted but with a serious message.
3. This one's not as lighthearted, but it's a solid medical economics piece that anyone can wrap their mind around. Dr. Atul Gawande discusses how to lower overall health care costs by creating better care for those who use the health system the most.
4. And this one, also from John Perich's blog, I am including with a sly dedication to my "baby" brother who is interviewing for a new job this week. Good luck, kiddo.

No comments: