Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

It's going down tonight.

Me: Can I borrow that chart?
Dr.: Um, excuse me, but I am doing very important... uh... doctor things.
Me: Uh huh.
Dr.: Where is this guy?
Me: How would I know? I'm just a lowly and unimportant nurse.
Dr.: Ah ha! Did you know writing yourself is a sign of psych issues?(He was looking at my left arm which, as usual, was covered in scribbled vitals signs.) At least you haven't covered your face!

The Dr.was referencing a walk in patient who stopped by today covered HEAD to TOE in words in black marker. With answers to questions. Including the words, "deaf," and "mute." And other choice words like "stupid." But after a few minutes of doctors mouthing things at him and him pointing at various body parts... he finally yelled, "Don't you get it? I'm here to get a walker!"

****************************************************************************

Today was kind of hectic. It wasn't the kind of day you question your career over, certainly. But it was the kind of day that made me nervous all eight hours that I was forgetting something or that a med error was just about to get made. Or that someone was going to stroke out as soon as I turned my back. So at the end of my shift my boss told me I could have tomorrow off. "Are you sure?" I asked? "Yep," she answered, "we're covered and have extra. Happy New Year!"

****************************************************************************

Resolutions? Not this year. Blame Billy Joel. He loves me just the way I am.

No comments: