Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

"Tell me more about that..."

Me: So forget us. What would you say is the biggest health issue you're facing right now?
New Admit:  I like to think of myself in this situation as a race car brought in to an auto shop. I got two flat tires (indicates swollen legs), my hydraulic fluids are low, I got some shot pistons, you know? I'm just here to get it all fixed up before I go out to the race again.

                                                 ***********radio static********************

Me:  So...  now what?
Patient Being Discharged:  I don't know. I just need to get away from everyone. People talking about drinking and drugging. That's what got me into this mess. I just want to be clean and sober. I don't even want to hear about it. You go out in the streets, even in the shelters, it's all over the place. I'm an addict. I can't be around it. I'm going to keep failing. All I want to do is quit and get my real life back.

                                            *********radio static *********************

Me:  You mentioned you're feeling "down." Tell me more about that.
LongTerm Patient: I'm feeling trapped here. I want to get out, but I can't. I'm sick and I have no where to go. I'm a person likes being free. I want it all. A door, a lock, my key. I want to come and go, no one tells me no. I'm just feeling bad. You know them birds like vultures? Like seagulls too? You see them circle around another one, can't do anything about it? That's how I feel now. Like that.

                                             ***********radio static*******************

No comments: